On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 02:18:31PM +0530, Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
>       What do I use? I need a spartan simple tool like magicpoint itself. Is
> xfig the right choice? What about inkscape? I am somewhat excited with SVG.
> Are ther other image manipulation tools out there? I guess gimp would be an
> overkill. And openoffice is not meant for UNIX geeks.:-)

metapost is great if you need figures with tex captions (though it's a
programmer's tool).

I'm also partial to kig, in kde-edu, which is great for geometric stuff.

Gimp is a fine pixel drawing program. Depends a lot if you can live with
pixel-art, or if you really need vectorial stuff.

We don't have a working port of inkscape yet. This is a big issue with
boehm-gc based software: this library tends to work rather badly on OpenBSD
for now.

There are also a few drawing programs in koffice, and they tend to get better
from release to release...