Easy enough to write one's own with a call to pipe(2) and some
sleight-of-handle with dup2 and friends, depending on need.  Stevens'
"Adv. Prog.  in the Unix Env." has the canonical examples.  Offhand,
though, I can't think of an existing library routine.  The OP is not
so hot on C programming, he says.  (I refer him to the book just
mentioned, which is truly "how to write real Unix programs", should
he like to improve his skills at the feet of a master.)

I actually *just* received that book a couple days ago from amazon.
I've barely made it through the preface, but I can already tell that
this book will enable me to be mediocre :-)

--Bryan