Last night I wiped my drive completely and did a fresh install

OpenBSD 3.9
MySQL 5.0.5
PHP5
mediawiki 1.5.6

I followed the instructions presented after each package was added.
I didn't setup mediawiki until today at work.  After a little bit of
messing around I finally got it working though somewhat flakey.  It
went through the set up and created the database in MySQL but would
not go to the main page until I refreshed several times.  Finally it
went to the main page and I tried a few links and they worked ok.
When I created a new user the whole thing died.  I removed the
LocalSettings.php file and did the setup again but I could not even
get to the setup page.  I removed MySQL and it's database, PHP and
mediawike and added the pacakages again.  Again following each of the
instructions, but now it won't find the mysq.sock even though it
appears to be where it belongs, (/var/www/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock

Here is the page I get when I try to set it up.

I hope the problem is just that I don't have the socket in the right
place.  If that is not it I am going to start all over by installing
OpenBSD again.

MediaWiki 1.5.6 installation

Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation
problems.

Checking environment...

PHP 5.0.5: ok
PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
Neither Turck MMCache nor eAccelerator are installed, can't use
object caching functions
GNU diff3 not found.
Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be
enabled if you enable uploads.
Installation directory: /mediawiki
Script URI path: /mediawiki
Warning: $wgSecretKey key is insecure, generated with mt_rand().
Consider changing it manually.
Connecting to wikidb on localhost as root...failed with error 2002:
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysql/
mysql.sock' (61).