Ok, I'm still trying to get some protocol debugging done in Sangoma's PPP implementation for their excellent S518 ADSL card. I have it working under Linux, but something minor but critical seems to be failing under OpenBSD, because they internal PPP never accepts the LCP options offered by my ISP.

I think I can sort out the problem if I can just get a few debug printfs to spit out some bits of info at certain times. But, I'm not an experienced BSD kernel guy and I've been unsuccessful in doing so.

  The driver is compiled to be an lkm, so it sort of links during driver
load-time.

I've tried including syslog.h and using the syslog() call, but at driver load time it complains about modload not being able to load the module because of the reference to syslog. I tried printf(), which compiled, loaded and ran fine, but I couldn't find anywhere that the text came out. Not on the console, or any logs I could see.

Can someone tell me a drop-dead simple way to blast out a few strings from within a loadable kernel module that's guaranteed to be n00b-proof?

Thanks in advance. I'm really hoping to switch my router/firewall back to booting OBSD. It's all ready to go, but I have to boot the Linux install because I can't get this silly PPP stack debugged.

Alternately, any other recommendations for how to debug are welcomed. I only have one OpenBSD machine to play with, so I don't know how I would do any remote debugging or anything.

--
     Chris 'Xenon' Hanson | Xenon @ 3D Nature | http://www.3DNature.com/
 "I set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines, activate the programs,