Am Samstag, 23. September 2006 22:51 schrieben Sie:

> > > I just upgraded my storage box to -current to test the ath upgrades
> > > on another slower computer.  I ran make install after compiling the
> > > kernel instead of copying the kernel manually:
> > >
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/ethant# ls -al /*bsd*
> > > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  6049422 Sep 23 10:53 /bsd
> > > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  5002407 Aug 21 18:00 /bsd.rd
> > > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  6028254 Aug 21 18:00 /obsd
> > >
> > > But the first 3 times I rebooted the system it booted the Aug 21
> > > /obsd kernel.  The 4th time it finally booted the Sep 23 one.  I kept
> > > getting interrupted by the cat, the phone, and the cat while at the
> > > boot prompt while I was troubleshooting and then the last time it
> > > finally booted /bsd.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on why that happened?
> >
> > I doubt this is what happened.
>
> In this case I'm sure of what I saw because I scrolled through the
> entire dmesg and saw 4.0-current compiled by Theo 2 times before the
> one 4.0-current compiled by me even though I had rebooted several
> times with new kernel in place.
>
> Anyway, I've rebooted enough times now that they're all my kernel so
> I'll just strike it up to me not having had coffee yet.
>
> Greg

You may be a victim of the "feature" that ( for hardware related reasons)
the dmesg buffer doesn't get cleared after reboot so you actually have 2
dmesgs, (or maybe even more ?)  one after the other, in dmesg buffer.
This can easily  be overlooked by scrolling back to fast.

The exact reasons are somewhere in the archives.

Alf