Toni Mueller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm getting a reproducible panic on a remote 3.9-stable system and have
> managed to talk someone into taking photographs with his cell phone
> camera that show the panic and 'ps' and 'trace' info. The image quality
> is generally poor, however.
>
> The crash occurs when using smartmontools (from ports).
>
> Would this be acceptable for filing a crash report, or is this out of
> your scope?

The trick to answering a question like this is to imagine yourself as an
OpenBSD developer.  At this point, 4.0 is done.  Out the door to the
presses.  You are now actively working on what will become 4.1.

NOW, someone offers to show you a problem with 3.9, and a kernel panic
at that.
What is your interest?  Definite curiosity.  After all, you are an
OpenBSD developer, when someone finds a problem, it is nice to make sure
it is eliminated.  However, it sure would be nice if the person asking
about a  reproducible problem would try reproducing it on -current code
to see if it has already been solved, or if it is something new.

Now they tell you they have labored for seconds to grab a digicam and
produce photos, which will take you much more time to actually get into
readable form on your screen than it took the person who is experiencing
the problem to create them.  And, you know from experience the photos
are going to be either huge, so they take forever to download and are a
pain in the butt to view, or tiny and fuzzy and unreadable.  Once you
make sense of the photo, you will very possibly find the problem is
either a custom kernel or bad hardware or something that was solved six
months ago.
What is your interest now?  almost Zero.

Unfortunately, the difference between "almost zero" and "zero" was the
question: is it a 10megapixel image (i.e., "is their camera better than
mine?"), or is it a fuzzy, mostly unreadable phone-cam picture (or
both).  People are curious about which way you are about to annoy them.
 You gave that away. :)

In general, especially with reproducible errors, try to reproduce them
on -current.

And then, forget the digicam.  ONCE you have a developer's interest, ok,
fine, maybe that particular developer will be interested in looking at
your fuzzy and/or fat digicam pics to save time on later iterations of
the resolution process, but you are unlikely to get their interest
initially with a photograph.

In general, I think it is usually best if the person ASKING for help
expects to spend many times the effort and time they expect the person
GIVING free help spend on a problem.  Transcribe your photos to text,
then file a proper bug report.  If it is really reproducible, grab a
serial cable, reproduce on -current, and skip the transcription.  If you
aren't willing spend a little time to do that, how important do you
think the OpenBSD developers are going to consider your problem?  How
much time do you think they will expect you will spend verifying the fix?

(and in case you are wondering, yes, I've transcribed quite a few
panics, often while sitting on an 80386/25 that is now used as an
uncomfortable chair).

(and no, this is not aimed at Toni personally, but rather, at people who
really don't think about the "other side" of the troubleshooting
process.  Toni was nice enough to ask before slinging photos around and
expecting magic to happen.  I'm just taking this opportunity to make a
long-winded answer.)

Nick.