On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 08:56:57AM -0400, Jeff Quast wrote:
> On 10/1/06, Joachim Schipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 07:24:43PM +0200, Bambero wrote:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I need to recovery overwritten txt file.
> >>
> >> Ex.
> >> echo "my data" > testfile.txt
> >> echo "" > testfile.txt
> >>
> >> I have partition image file creted using dd.
> >> Is it possible to dump it and search using grep for example ?
> >> Is it possible to recover overwritten data ?
> >
> >Well, let this teach you about the values of good backups. amrecover
> >(AMANDA) is considerably friendlier than what you're about to go
> >through... (and I can attest to both from personal experience. Ouch.)
>
> I only backup my large repositories and media once a month. 29 days of
> work is worth hunting for.

My backups are semi-daily, and /home is synchronised regularly between
my laptop and my desktop.

A single hard disk crash is enough to get one truly paranoid [1].

> >You're quite lucky, though, to have deleted a plain text file. Provided
> >you still know a couple of words, you could search for them. grep -A
> >would work, but be careful to redirect it or it'll mess up your
> >terminal.
>
> (I dont see how grep would help here)

I was going to talk about how a text file contains easily-findable data,
most of the time, but considering the link you posted below...

grep -bA /dev/rwd0a might be a quick way to get some offsets, without
using special tools (hexedit really isn't, but most people aren't
familiar with it).

> >Tools like TCT (The Coroner's Toolkit, by Wietse Venema &c) or The
> >Sleuth Kit (more modern; apparently, Autopsy is something of a GUI for
> >it) could help a lot, if you're desparate.
> >
> >               Joachim
>
> hexedit works just fine for this purpose imo.
>
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2005-01/1717.html
>
> It is very safe to use, and free (as in COST, it is probobly gnu, not
> meeting my own concept of 'free').

That's another option, yes. It all depends on what one likes.

                Joachim

[1] The student association's server. No data was lost, but we were
*really* lucky that /var/mail was in the part that didn't get damaged,
and /usr was. The other way round would have been thoroughly
unpleasant.

Also, it was a good thing we were doing backups, albeit to another hard
disk, and that it wasn't the second hard disk that failed. Quite a
scare, although it amounted to no more than a couple of hours of
downtime in the end.