Mr. Awad and Mr. Ketreno:

First, I offer my sincere thanks to Intel for their ongoing support for 965 graphics chipsets at http://intellinuxgraphics.org/ - as a Slackware Linux user, I appreciate having an open-source option for accelerated graphics.

However, since I am also an OpenBSD user, I must admit that I am disappointed that Intel's overall commitment to open-source software is rather lacking. As indicated above, releasing source code is certainly appreciated; however, it is not enough. The community really needs accurate, up to date documentation which would allow them to write and/or maintain its own drivers. Another area that could use some work is the licensing terms of the firmware images for various Intel wireless chipsets. I can see no good reason to place any restrictions upon any vendor wishing to distribute unmodified firmware images with their operating system. For any operating system, being able to offer "out of the box" support for your hardware will result in more sales of your hardware.

As it stands, I cannot in good conscience recommend Intel products to either my acquaintances or customers due to the issues mentioned above. Should these issues be addressed satisfactorily, I would have absolutely no qualms about recommending purchase of Intel hardware.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Cordially,
Robert Workman

--

http://rlworkman.net