Damian Wiest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Do whatever you like.  I'm simply stating my preference and providing
> an alternative setup for people to consider.  I don't find receiving
> 200+ messages a day from cron jobs running on the network with identical
> subject lines to be a particularly good setup.  In this case, having
> cron mail me the results of the job is not "exactly what I want" as you
> seem to believe.

I didn't say its exactly what you want, I said its exactly what the person
asking about periodic wants.  You are the one making blanket statements
about "bad cron jobs" without considering what is intended.

> If you can come up with a better scheme for managing emailed output from
> hundreds of jobs running on hundreds of machines, then please share.
> As it stands, you're merely trolling.

I don't need to come up with any such scheme, as I don't have any such
problem.  I simply said that cron is ideal for running a task and then
sending an email about it.  This is true wether you let cron send the
mail or if you do it yourself in the script.  I think you need to learn
what a troll is, or stop tossing it around like that.  You are not the
definition of good, and telling you as much is not trolling.

Adam