>                                                      The attitude
> that the end (hardware support) justifies the means (complete
> sacrifice of the principles the thing was written under in the first
> place) has to stop.

I will quote one little sentence from a private mail with the OLPC
team.  I feel tiny bit uncomfortable doing so, but feel that it is an
excerpt that stands on it's own and it needs to be aired.  It shows
what they are thinking.

In a private reply to my initial mail Jim Gettys (OLPC / Red Hat) said:

    Free and open software is a means to an end, rather than the
    sole end unto itself for OLPC.

I was totally stunned by this admission.  "morally bankrupt", as Bob
says, is exactly what is going on.