Adriaan wrote:
On 10/5/06, Theo de Raadt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have decided to make public this letter which I sent to the OLPC
("One Laptop Per Child" group, which is strongly associated with Red
Hat.
[snip]

See Jim Gettys defense at http://www.gettysfamily.org/wordpress/?p=27

=Adriaan=

What strike me, among many things wrong and unreal here is the specific part as well:

"Marvell is not in a position to open their wireless firmware as it is currently dependent on the third party operating system kernel that they do not own. A GPL Linux device driver for the Marvell wireless chip, the Libertas driver, still under development but also fully functional can be found in our GIT tree."

Everyone that defend the GPL code should again look at themselves and realize that it is part of the license to make public the code and make it free for other to use when it is base on GPL.

Well, my English may not be so good, but as I understand this as a none speaking English is that, "We use GPL code, but we can't and will not release it" Well, sorry, I am not and never been a fan of GPL license code, but one thing I know about it is that is you use any part of it, you are force to release your code as well, like it or not!

So, here the go public saying they are full 100% unlawful period!

How can you trust such a company, organization, none profit, or what ever they want to call themselves for self service profit anyway!

Sorry, I don't by one bit of it!

All Bullshit again and again all over!!!

Just hiding itself behind children's is the lowest one can go in that regards!

And if you have the gots to cretisize them, you are view are going against poor children's and you are just not a decent human and a piece of low life if you do.

Sorry, this is just not right and sure doesn't smell good either!!!

More I read the article more it's obvious their gaol is not to help the Children's but a self serving one!

If they have the hart of the children's in their mind, they woudl make sure what ever they get and learn to use would be available to them for years to come!

Also, in case you haven't seen it, it's pretty obvious as well where they go:

"The existing closed firmware blob will be similarly redistributable as soon as we finish working with Marvells lawyers to get the right language on the license for it."

Again, I may not be good in English, but I sure know the difference between "CLOSED FIRMWARE" and open one. I also know when you need to sepcify that "we finish working with Marvells lawyers to get the right language on the license" doesn't mean open either! When Open the license is pretty darn simple!!!

Even continuing with this "If anyones feels betrayed, it is because they are ill-informed, and that uninformed, biased and intemperate people informed them incorrectly of the situation."

Juat make me fell like he things I am stupid and never go to school and should believe what he said!

What a shame that is!!!

And even continuing with this

"A project like replacing the firmware in the Marvell chip is not an overnight affair, and OLPC can not wait for its completion to start testing our systems. The success of our project requires the unique capability of the Marvell wireless chip, for which there is no alternative on the market, and for which Marvell were not legally able to provide the firmware in source form due to its use of a third partys embedded OS."

Well, if you use GPL license, there isn't a question, or shouldn't be anyway. YOU HAVE TO RELEASE THE CODE PERIOD!!! So, to say "were not legally able to provide the firmware in source" is simply to say we try to go around the GPL license requirements and our lawyers are working on it! Stay tune and will tell you how!!!

Anyway, even when look at it better and closer, you see "replacing the firmware in the Marvell chip", no one is asking for that. We just want that docs of the in and out. Who cares about the inside!!!

And finally, "The success of our project requires..." well any success if really the goal is as they say to provide them with access, woudl be to make it public so that any and every open source project could contibute to it, but no, it's not the goal here! We want success, so that we can lock them in our product for years to come and benefit form it!

Now continuing with this

"Yes, open hardware and specifications is important. I think Theo de Raadt has the wrong organizations and people in his sights this time, and is harming open source and free software with irresponsible and ill-informed statments."

id the biggest liar of all I have read in a long time!

Theo have done more to help everyone then OLPC have done and will do as it look like!

They have the power to do so, but choose not to!

Their choice!!!

They could force the movement and really help these children's if they really wanted to , but choose not to.

Just imagine if the same children's god forbid could ever learn how this works and may be start to write good code for it who knows, may be start to make a living doing so as well! No we can't allow that, if we do, we will not control them anymore!

Don't forget control is POWER!!!

Then if you do as you say

"The OPLC system is the first mass production system designed in which the BIOS firmware and loader is open (we use LinuxBIOS)."

How in hell can you justify to sign NDA and have close source code if GPL license and code is use!!!

I just don't get it!!!

Yes, I am piss off, I am reading this and see someone that use children's as a fence to protect their own ultimate goal and can't even coem clean doing so!

I don't know how someone can look at itself in the mirror every morning and convince itself that what they do is REALLY in the benefit of the children's doing that!

There is no honor into this, but a self serving goal and lying in public about it is even worst, but then go against the same goal as what got them started is really as low as one can go!

I don't get it!

Then if this is remotely true

"so that we could have open documentation and use the standard SD driver"

The publish the documentation and put your money where your mouth is and make that public!

But I know it's not going to happen. When NDA is involve, there isn't a "OPEN DOCUMENTATION" available!

And try to justify it with this

"Once we no longer needed VESA emulation by the use of frame buffer code, AMD released the code to VSA (without the VESA emulation code that they had licensed) under the LGPL, and it is now in the git repository on laptop.org."

Again, NO ONE whats that code, we just want the documentations for the IN and OUT of the chips!

Nothing else.

When I study engineering, I use TI data book then and my teachers make us look at how the chips work inside and we learn a lots from it. And he also make sure we knew how to read and understand the specs sheets of the various chips were using then!

See the inside was a bonus then and we learn from it, but we sure darn learn how to read specs sheets and design from it!

We just needed the io and out of the chips, regardless what's inside!

Is anyone will ever get it!!!

That's what's is been asked. Not code, not BLOB, NOT SECRETS, just how the in and out of the chips and that's all!

And if you happen to use PGA chips that needs special FIRMWARE to make it work, just allow the rights to redistribute the binary that make the hardware you pay for to work without the need to sign additional rights to it as you already pay for it!!!

What's so hard to understand here!

I just don't get it!

All this is a dance hiding behind false pretenses and using human feeling to get what you want!

Shame I tell you!

I know there is no feeling in business, but it's it any decency either now!

Where is the world is going to be.

What we make of it and it sure doesn't look a nice place to be!

Isn't there any real human value left inside any corporation now.

Is anyone can say that, I am welling to do so, but can't because of the corporation, or none profit organizations and always need to hide behind someone or something now!

Still thinking like this, WILL sure not help what the goal want to be, or pretend to do in the first place!

The hardest o accept in this is to see that some try to convince themselves and others that they are right in the end!

It make me sick!

Holefully some will look in the mirror and think twice!

This only remind me of a poem I memorize a few years ago in my Martial arts journey and had to speak it in front of many when you learn to be true to yourself. Hopefully it will help some starting to look in the mirror and face the real goal and see the light may be. And hiding behind other pretense is really low!

It goes like this:

Man in the glass
Author Unknown

When you get what you want you want in the struggle for gain
And the world makes you king for a day,
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say!

It isn't your father or mother or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass;
The one whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the man staring back in the glass.

He's the one you must satisfy beyond all the rest,
For he's with you right up to the end;
And you will have passed your most difficult test
When the man in the glass is your friend.

You may be the one who got a good break,
And think you're a wonderful guy;
But the man in the glass says you're only a fake
If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass;
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass.

Hope you can see the light and look at yourself in the mirror

Regards,

Daniel