Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2006/10/08 15:31, Axton Grams wrote:
>> While working with the trunk and vlan features of OpenBSD, I ran into
>> one thing that I do not understand.  In order to use a trunk device for
>> multiple vlan's, the trunk device must have an ip address assigned.
>
> Your ifconfig output is from when it's working, isn't it? Start from
> not-working and diff the two (ifconfig > /tmp/broken; ifconfig trunk0 \
> 10.1.1.1; ifconfig | diff -u /tmp/broken -) and see what changed.
>
> You'll probably see that before you added the address it wasn't
> configured "UP". If that's the case, you just need to add the word
> "up" on a line in /etc/hostname.trunk0
>
>> Read some postings about changing mtu on vlan devices, but don't know
>> enough to know what to do.
>
> If changing mtu makes a difference to vlans, you're probably better
> off searching for better NICs.

Stuart,

Thanks for the info.  It must have been some other config problem that I
misinterpreted as the trunk interface needing an ip.  Altered the
hostname.trunk0 with the appropriate parameters (no ip, just up and
trunkdevs) and all is well.  Started this this morning and changed a lot
in that time frame.

Works like a charm.

Axton Grams