On 10/10/06, chefren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 10/10/06 4:46 AM, Kian Mohageri wrote:
> > On 10/9/06, Lars Hansson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> I guess you didn't understand; OpenBSD does not exist for you or me, it
> >> exists for the developers.
> >

> > This is a truth everybody should have to read before submitting their
> > complaint/feature request/rant/whatever.
>
> It's definitely not as simple as that, probably about a dynamic half
> of the truth.
>
> A large part of the developers give away their work and solve problems
> of other people just because they like to do so. I presume they
> believe enough of the receivers will do something in return
> (donations, or even code) to help the whole project.

Yes, the developers do to give away their creations to the public free of
charge, but as far as I'm concerned that does not change who the project is
actually *for*.  The public benefits from the generosity and intelligence of
the developers (and people who contribute in other ways to the project).
But ultimately the project was never under anyones control except the
leaders -- it belongs to them, and exists for them.  They are in no way
required to do what they do;   there is no REAL obligation to the public.

I agree with you, though, that there is a balance in the community despite
who the project is originally for -- and that balance works well.  In fact,
most people in here probably don't actually think that OpenBSD owes them
something (hopefully...)...but it can be hard to tell from some of the
complaints.

-Kian