Joe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Thanks. I'm a student and just getting started and my instructor was
> telling the class how the schools version copies of MS Visual C 6.0 is
> not C99 compliant and that some of the examples in the book[0] fail to
> compile. I read up on GCC 3.3.5 and it appears that it is mostly
> compliant with a few issues, including the variable length arrays
> which happens to be on one of my homework assignments. But it looks
> like I'll be ok.

Aside from the compiler, you need to consider the C library if you
have to have full C99 compliance for some reason.  It doesn't appear
that it's all done yet in OpenBSD's libc.  Or at least the %a format
specifier for printf isn't there.  But I bet you won't end up needing
that.

> By the way, if anyone has any pointers (no pun intended) for a CS
> newbie, any help and recommendations are always appeciated. I like the
> OpenBSD development community and hope to contribute some code and
> patches in the future.

I took a course once and read some source from OpenBSD userland to try
to supplement what I was learning.  It seemed much nicer reading than
the GNU source for the same programs - clearer, more direct and to the
point.  If feasible I'd ignore the book your professor assigned and
read The C Programming Language by Kernighan and Ritchie and C, A
Reference Manual, by Harbison and Steel instead.  Some professors feel
an obligation to assign so called easier (and bulkier) texts.  It's a
waste of your time to read those sorts of books.  I can only imagine
that anything with the words "a structured approach to..." in the
title is not going to be any fun.

--
Mike Small
[EMAIL PROTECTED]