On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 10:03:37AM +0530, Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 08:42:45PM +0200, Joachim Schipper wrote:
> > I'm not sure about KDE, but rxvt loads pretty fast (<10ms?) on ion. And
> > this is not exactly new hardware (neomagic driver, Thinkpad 390X).
> >
> > aterm takes .5 seconds due to the transparent background, and dillo
> > takes about 1 second before it begins displaying my home page. It's more
> > in the applications than in Xorg, usually.
> >
> >             Joachim
>
> No need to be "not sure about KDE".
>
> KDE is bloatware and everyone knows that. Something like the bash shell.

That's true, but once everything is loaded and the system has been
running long enough to figure out what belongs in swap and what belongs
in memory, simple stuff shouldn't take too long. Simple stuff like
opening an xterm.

bash may be bloatware, but it should still open rather fast on a
more-or-less modern machine.

> dillo is fast but useless. You can get the same thing with any of the
> console browsers like w3m,lynx,elinks etc...

I am especially fond of w3m, and yes, I am aware that it does graphics
too. I do use dillo every now and then, but are beginning to lean more
and more towards just using w3m.

                Joachim