On 2006/10/19 17:57, X Y wrote:
> I can't override this with nexthop

are you sure? this should work. you are setting it on the _sending_ machine
and not the _receiving_ machine aren't you? looking at `bgpd -nv' may help

rtr2$ bgpctl sh ip bgp x.x.0.0
flags: * = Valid, > = Selected, I = via IBGP, A = Announced
origin: i = IGP, e = EGP, ? = Incomplete

flags destination         gateway          lpref   med aspath origin
I     x.x.0/22            y.y.187.61       100     0 blah blah blah i

rtr1$ sudo vi /etc/bgpd.conf (add 'set nexthop self')
rtr1$ bgpctl reload
<wait for routes to feed across>

rtr2$ bgpctl sh ip bgp x.x.0.0
flags: * = Valid, > = Selected, I = via IBGP, A = Announced
origin: i = IGP, e = EGP, ? = Incomplete

flags destination         gateway          lpref   med aspath origin
I     x.x.0/22            y.y.187.35       100     0 blah blah blah i

> 1) Will the "set localpref -10" on the session with the other router
> be sufficient to make sure that when the main BGP session is up,
> that's actually used?

yes, localpref overrides everything else (*including* AS path length).

http://unduli.bsws.de/papers/linuxforum2006/mgp00016.txt

  1.  check if prefix is eligible a.k.a reachable
  2.  localpref, bigger is better
  3.  aspath length, the shorter the better
  4.  origin, the lower the better
  5.  MED decision, only comparable between
      the same neighboring AS
  6.  EBGP is cooler than IBGP
  7.  weight, bigger is better (extension)
  8.  route age: older is better (extension,
      off by default)
  9.  lowest BGP ID wins
  10. lowest peer address wins

most of it is standard BGP but the extensions aren't, this list
should probably be added to bgpd(8) or possibly bgp.conf(5)...
(if anyone would like to express a preference as to which manpage
I can prepare a diff)

> 2) When I get to use multiple locations, should I use ospfd rather
> than BGP to manage which route to take internally to the network?

I assume you are talking about using it to tell which route to
take from the border to your internal networks (hosted machines and
so on)? that's up to you :-)