Found a solution of sort - downgrade the phase 2 transform from AES to 3DES.
Even if offically SEF 7.0.4 supports AES for phase 2 and it accepts it
during IKE negotiation, the tunnel fails immediately with a misleading error
message on SEF.

Given the age of Symantec Enterprise Firewall 7.0.4 (released in 2001? ) and
the standardisation year of AES (2002) I think the SEF AES algorhytm is
simply broken. Beware.

HJ, thanks for help!

Regards,

Mitja