On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 11:14:20AM +1000, Jonathan Gray wrote:

[snip]

> For the longest time it was quite hard to get documentation out
> of the networking side of Intel, but it recent years they
> publish reasonably detailed manuals for 10/100 (fxp) and
> 10/100/1000 (em) controllers and some PHYs.  I have not
> been able to find any 10GbE (ixgb) manuals and suspect
> they don't publish them.  Anything at all to do with
> wireless there is no documentation from Intel at all also.
>
> fxp
> http://www.intel.com/design/network/manuals/8255x_opensdm.htm
>
> em
> http://www.intel.com/design/network/manuals/8254x_GBe_SDM.htm

Funny you should mention this as I just grabbed some docs for the
82563EB (Intel Pro/1000).

Device driver writing is an area I haven't yet explored, but the
datasheet for the Pro/1000 looks pretty detailed and includes
block diagrams, pin descriptions, signalling, timing specs, etc.
Is this sort of document sufficient for device driver writers?

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I really would like
to learn more about writing device drivers.

-Damian