I write once again for the same old things I was writing
at the opwnbsd 3.4. If you search the emails to the list are there.

Same old same old.

The pppoe dial error (userland) "cant assign requsted address" after
4 major OpenBsd releases didnt go away. Noone cared to address the situation
and of course the same old answer "diferent isps use diferent pppoe
implementations" was the easy answer to leave the question unanswered.

The 90% of home office internet conections are have to do with pppoe crapy dsl
implementetions at least here in Europe.

Despite that I have never found a single windows xp box to not work
properly with
these "crapy implementations" no matter to whatever adsl provider
someone wants to
conect to, and without the need for any extra drivers to be installed
concerning these diferrent isps.

So from the openbsd 3.4 release I have instaled Openbsd as a router
(suggested by me)
to different small offices succesfully and  despite the Openbsd pppoe
risk that these boxes will never see the Internet world.
I just hoped and trusted the community, that someone
will go and support the first thing that an os must be capable of, to
conect to the internet
using an available ISP. I hoped that someone in the community will fix
the problems so
will come one day that we can use an openbsd box to conect to the Internet
without praying or going after that to a doctor for a nervous breakdown.

So 3.5 -> 3.6 -> 3.7 -> 3.8 and now I am afraid to tell my clients to update.
No matter what usefull things the new releases have if I can not
conect them to the Internet the only option is to call microsoft to
apply for the licencing program...

THE ONLY THING THAT CHANGES FROM RELEASE TO RELEASE
IN OPENBSD PPPOE IS THE ERROR MESSAGES AFTER A SUCCESSFUL
CONECTION IS MADE.

I am so disappointed with this,  as every now and then in these years
I read posts in the list, from the newbie trying to install an openbsd
box for the first time, as users that are very familiar with openbsd
like myself, crying out "the pppoe implementation in openbsd is
broken".

An answer to all these people:
IS PPP OPENBSD IMPLEMENTATION BROKEN?

YES IT IS NO MATTER WHAT YOU READ IN THE LIST.
YES IT IS AND NO ONE CARES.
YES YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG IN YOUR CONFIGURATION,
THE ERRORS ARE NOT THERE FOR DEBUGGING JUST FOR SEEING THEM.

On openbsd 3.9 I can conect through pppoe(userland) to my ISP
everything works fine
but I can not download more than 250KB/s despite that my line is
capable of 2000KB/s.
In a 3.5 box same configuration same ISP I am capable of 2000KB/s. May
I must downgrade?????

I myself want to ask whats the meaning of an os secure and capable of tasks if
I can not conect to an ISP using the way that 90% of Inernet users use
in this world.

I have spend another week trying to resolve another pppoe problem,
where everything seems to work fine as always, but as always in
openbsd's  pppoe something goes wrong.

Of course if I conect my modem to a wondows xp "stupid insecure pc" or
to e "Unix based
"Powerbook" and I experince no such problems.

I called my ISP after the line was installed and complain that my line
dont work ok and now
I think I may be have to call them and tell them that I just used a
stupid os that cant do
what the most "stupid" oses can DO.

I needed to write this after 5 years of seeing the community to ignore
the needs of its users. We have donated, support it and continue to do
so. We have no right to demand things but I think we have the right to
alert the community as definitily with this matter something IS
DEFINITELY wrong.

I think that the 50% of Openbsd users use pppoe conections and I thing
that the 10%
of us use for example IPSEC. Despite that IPSEC works far better than
establishing a dsl conection and download at proper rates.
And I am sure that this mail will be ignored as the 98329389283
mails in this list that noone answer and you can find in the list
remaining for ever unanswered.

So just I am Asking kindly again after 5 years.

Will be a way to establish a dsl broadband conection from an openbsd gateway
to an ISP without errors and problems ever in the future like the 99%
of all other OSes
(even those that are not deticated to networking as OpenBsd) CAN? OR NOT?

Even if the abswer is NO I will be greatefull as many other users to know
that so we can make our ways out of this OSas there are some thing in
OS world that some of us cant live without it.

Feel free not to comment.