On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:28:42 -0400
"Martin Gignac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake:

> On 10/20/06, Bill Chmura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I have set verbosity to 5 and watched it.  I get lots of W (Writes) and
> > R's (Reads) while it is idle, which I was thinking was the pings. On the
> > client side I would see WRWRWRWRWRWWWWWWWWW... (drop and reset)
>
> I've never had problems with OpenVPN before (at least none that were
> not due to my own stupidity) so I've never had to set the verbosity to
> anything above 3. However, 6 to 11 are considered the debug info
> range, so you might want to try that and see.

The stupidity thing is still in the running... Well... it never goes
out of style

> > The server is running OpenBSD 3.8 and the clients have been a mix of
> > linux/mac/windows.  My linux/mac clients both run fine with an OpenBSD
> > 3.8 OpenVPN server on another box.  This box is not nearly as used, but
> > it is also much older hardware - but have never had a problem with it.
>
> If an old OpenBSD 3.8 box runs fine while another newer one with the
> same release of OpenBSD and OpenVPN doesn't run as well, then maybe
> there's a problem with the hardware itself (Ethernet card, bad cable,
> speed/duplex autonegotiation problems, etc.).

Well, its been in production as a firewall for a while now on that
version of OpenBSD.  The only NIC in it is the unsupported version
of the Intel Pro/1000 MT card.  (Checksum failures - already talked
about in the archives).  But we are not using it.

> > it seems that the server would stop pinging the client then...
>
> Put the logs at verbosity 6 or higher and if you're lucky to might get
> a message that explains everything, or at least might give some hint
> as to what's going on.
>
> > In a new development I removed the nice setting today and things are
> > still really running smooth with the client.  Which leads me to really
> > want to smash my head into the desk repeatedly.

I will try the higher verbosity level.  Thanks for the info