On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:12:49 +0100 (CET), "Otto Moerbeek"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> > but as has been pointed out, it is trivial to write a script
> > that would automatically go out and modify /etc/group
> > on even a large number of boxes.
> >
> > This is rough, needs polishing, use at own risk, blah blah...
> >
> > BOXES="server1 server 2 server3. . ."
> >
> > for box in $BOXES
> > do
> >   { sleep 5;echo "username";sleep 2;echo "password";sleep 2;
> > echo"sudo do some command left as exercise for reader";
> > sleep 3;echo "exit"; } |telnet $box 2>>/tmp/rcmd.error 1>/dev/null
> > done
>
> You got to be kidding. This is the worst script I've seen in ages.

I only offered this because the OP seemed to indicate that he had
a large number of machines and it would be inconvenient to make
the change to /etc/group on all of them. If you administer several
dozen to more than a hundred machines it is quite inconvenient to
do this. If there is a better way of doing this I would be quite
interested in hearing about it.  Please do not point out the security
implications of this. It has already been greatly considered. It
should be clearly obvious how this can be made safe. And no, I
haven't used telnet in nearly ten years, but I and all my users
always type "telnet" at the command line. It's familiar.
I offered help. You offered nothing but useless noise.