I have it working a similar setup. All you need once the openldap side
is runnning (and there are lots of docs about OpenLDAP for users
authentication out there):

Thanks,  got openldap with bdb up using various example conf files...
Getting the openldap side supporting a table or index or proper schema? that can be referenced by sendmail and cyrus and putting
the username,realm,password into it is my stuck point now, and that
is beyond the misc/openbsd list. I subscribed to the cyrus info and sasl
email lists and if need be the openldap lists...  I'll summarize my notes
on a webpage when successful and post back to misc list the url.

I think another part of the puzzle maybe that I need to copy sendmail schema and have that in slapd.conf

 cp /usr/src/gnu/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/sendmail.schema /etc/openldap/schema/

 # grep sendmail /etc/openldap/slapd.conf
 include         /etc/openldap/schema/sendmail.schema

  ?

You will need a sendmail compiled with SASL and ldap support, just add
this to /etc/mk.conf:
WANT_LDAP=yes
WANT_SMTPAUTH=yes

That was very helpful and something misc OpenBSD related, I knew about exporting WANT_SMTPAUTH prior to compiling sendmail, but I did realize
that a value needed to be set for WANT_LDAP.