On 31-Oct-06, at 4:35 PM, Damian Wiest wrote:

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 04:22:52PM -1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On 31-Oct-06, at 3:59 PM, Damian Wiest wrote:

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 09:17:11AM -0700, Pawel S. Veselov wrote:
stan wrote:
On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 11:11:43PM -0700, Pawel S. Veselov wrote:

Daniel Ouellet wrote:

stan wrote:

That's actually not a given IFIRK Sun says the RAID on the 2100's
is "Windows only".

Why Sun picks that kinda hardware for it's servers, is another
kinda
question.... But the controller manufacturers play evil here...

Might be beacuse these machines are about $750US each list.

What about v65x then ? :)

I don't know if I mentioned this already, but the Intel Gigabit
Ethernet
chip on Sun's AMD64 systems isn't even supported under Solaris.
Windows drivers only.  I have heard rumors that a recent build
of OpenSolaris includes driver support though.

-Damian

That is incorrect.  The Intel chipset on the Sun AMD64 servers is
supported under Solaris with the Sun e1000g driver (and the older
ipge driver on SPARC systems that have that same chipset, anyway).
The e1000g adds jumbo frames and a few other features over the ipge
driver.

Also, the RAID controller configuration is available via the BIOS and
in Solaris as raidctl(1M)

-Mike

I'll have to talk to one of my co-workers about this. I seem to recall
there being a driver available, but that it didn't work properly.

Getting OT, but are you using the SUNWintgige package?

Are you talking about the Nvidia RAID controller?

-Damian

I don't know the package, really, as the manpage doesn't list it as it should in ATTRIBUTES. Unfortunately, our Sun AMD64 boxes were slated for Windows installations, so they only ran Solaris (pre- installed) for a short while. I had little time to play with them before our Windows admin setup the LSI RAID controllers via BIOS and wiped the disks.

If it helps, the e1000g driver was released in Solaris Update 2 (U2) 06/06 I believe and is documented here:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5177/6mbbc4g54?a=view

and the following page lists Solaris 32-bit and 64-bit support:

http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x2100/os.jsp

-Mike