On 10/24/06, ropers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ryan, Joachim (, others):

You mentioned that you dislike PHP.
I would be curious to learn your reasons for this.
I'm not trying to instigate religious wars or the like, it's just that
my programming skills are mostly nonexistant <cough>GW BASIC & shell
scripts</cough> and I'm thinking of properly learning PHP, kind of as
an evolutionary step, up from XHTML.

Should a coding n00b like myself avoid PHP like the plague, or do your
reasons only come into play once a certain level of programming
proficiency is attained?

I'm one of the few using php on the list it seems. I've been working
with it for 4 years or so. Like any language, good coding practices
and server setups go along way. Speed is quite a subjective
term these days dependant on caching and how you code. I've
prefer it over perl because it is more complex and offers many
fast built-in string functions. If I were to do it again I'd evaluate
python, C and PHP side by side and try to see what makes
the most sense.