On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 23:54:24 +0100, Marc Balmer wrote
> stuartv wrote:
> > the network and share a couple network printers.  I would
> > also like to use an encrypted file system on which to store
> > important data that needs to be protected (in case of theft
> > etc).

Why have your file server use an encrypted file system?  If an authorized
person is able to get to it physically, it's game over anyways.  Plus you have
to do backups that also encrypt the data on the tape.  Tapes are easier to
steal than a file server especially if the tapes are stored off site.  And if
you lost the encryption keys or there is some kind of corruption then all your
data is no good.

One option you may want to research is using Windows servers for
authentication only and use OpenBSD/Samba for the file server.  You would have
to look into setting up ldap and kerberos.

You can also wait for Samba 4.0 which should be a complete replacement for
authentication as well as file services.

MS Access should work with any SQL server, I would look into Postgresql and
avoid MySQL.  Though I've never used either so I'm no authority, all the
research I came up with showed that Postgresql was more standards compliant
and preferred.