Matthew Closson wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Darrin Chandler wrote:

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 08:24:16AM -0500, Marc Ravensbergen wrote:
<SNIP>

My reason for this is so that I can generate a complete list of files
needed to download for a given program, run over to a computer with
high speed, download, run back to my computer, dump the files in the
correct directory (/var/db/pkg) and then install the package.
<SNIP>

There are probably other ways to do this, but the first thing that comes
to mind is to run "pkg_add -nv <package>" which will give you a list of
dependencies. Recurse until done, checking the dependencies so far to
avoid infinite recursion and excessive work.
<SNIP>

I agree pkg_add -nv will give you what you want. Unfortunately for Marc however I do not believe it will do it quickly on a dialup line. In order for pkg_add to determine the dependancies it must download and decompress the packages to get to the files which specify dependancies. It may be better to get ports.tar.gz and use that framework to determine which packages are dependant. Although I don't have a good script to traverse it right off hand. Here is an example output of doing a

The original problem involves a computer with a fast connection, so pkg_add -nv isn't out of the question. That said, I see nothing wrong with finding the dependencies through ports, either.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |