On 2006/11/16 16:25, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > > I just don't understand how there can be a difference factor of 10.
> > factor of 100.
> (Are you really sure a minute has 100 seconds?)

No I'm not, come to think of it...

> > softdep mount option? this will slow down creation/removal of
> > large numbers of files.
>
> Please, you are not a dog, that Pavlovian response is nonsense.

Ah, I didn't realise how little was written by 'make depend'.

For some operations, having WCE and softdep off does make a difference
approaching this of order of magnitude.

Knowing that some drives ship with WCE turned off (e.g. at least those
supplied with some HP DL385 and Fujitsu-Siemens servers), it's a quick
and simple thing to check which accounts for performance differences
on some operations of this sort of order of magnitude. I just tried
untarring ports.tar.gz on some F-S box:

WCE, softdep   no WCE, softdep   WCE, no softdep   no WCE, no softdep
0m49.29s       13m8.72s          1m51.58s          30m9.95s

> Strictly speaking, you should DISABLE write caching when using
> softupdates.

Surely this applies without softupdates too, though? It also relies
on the drive doing what you tell it, which isn't guaranteed, especially
with consumer drives optimised for performance in benchmarks (aiui
some drives always enable write-cache no matter what you tell them;
with these, providing they're ATA-6 compliant, you may force it with
READ VERIFY SECTOR/S).