Quoting jared r r spiegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 09:35:56PM -0500, ICMan wrote:

Thank you everyone.  I discovered that ulimit -d 200000 works on my
system.  I don't really know what that means, and I have yet to figure
out how to set this for all users (so they can use java), but that's
stuff I can puzzle out.

  login.conf(5).

  / for '-cur' and then scroll up a bit.

  'datasize-*' relates to ulimit -d.

  for a test, i've got a user in the 'staff' group on this box;
  just changed the 512M to 511M and re-logged in, ulimit -d stock output
  went from 524288 to 523264.

--

  jared

or, you can add the following line to /etc/profile

ulimit -S -d 200000

Marc