--- Quoting Uwe Dippel on 2006/11/19 at 10:11 +0800:

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:07:57 +0100, Joachim Schipper wrote:
>
> > On second thought, are you certain pflogd *should* be listening on bpf0?
>
> No; but it never did before (despite of the reboots) and I didn't make it
> to do so.

pflogd uses the pcap library to listen on pflog0. pcap uses bpf devices
to do its job.

> > And not on, say, pflog0? It's a privilige separated daemon running as
> > `_pflogd', so that it can't open the above files does make sense...

pflog0 is opened with pcap before privileges are dropped otherwise it
would never work.

> How *would* I make it listen on /dev/xxxxx, by the way ? (Except by
> changing the source, that is ?)

you don't.

if i remember the original issue correctly, look at your /dev/bpf*
devices. for some reason pflogd (via pcap) is unable to open bpf0.
perhaps a 'cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV bpf' is needed.

.joel