Last year I replaced an Exchange Server with OpenBSD-based mail, file,
print, and webmail server and found the following combination to be the
best option for me:

Openwebmail
Dovecot
Samba3
Plone/Zope

All work with OpenLDAP so the user needs to remember only one password.
They are all available as packages (except Plone 2.5 and Zope 2.8 which
I had to build from source) which makes installation and configuration
really straightforward. HTTP compression with OpenWebmail made a big
difference when accessing mail through DSL uplinks. Also, Openwebmail
does not require IMAP, which meant that dovecot could be taken down,
upgraded, etc. without users losing access to email. I am able to use
the IMAP client in Plone, Oulook 2003, Kontact/Kmail, and Evolution
along with OWM without any conflicts.

The only problem I had with OWM was that I could not make it work in a
chrooted environment properly without having symlinks everywhere. So it
is running with -u -DSSL. Also, sometimes dovecot indices get corrupted
if I do something silly like deleting email through OWM while composing
an email from an IMAP client using the same mailbox (obviously my fault
since I use three workstations with Kmail on OpenBSD, Evolution on
Ubuntu, Outlook 2003 on Windows XP and leave them all running at the
same time ...)

Vijay

--
Vijay Sankar, M.Eng., P.Eng.