Hi Dave,

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 01:50:52AM -0500, Woodchuck wrote:
| At worst you have a small window during installation in which root
| logins are allowed, before you shut them off by chroot'ing as Paul
| outlined in his post.

I'm not sure I understand, what window is this ? Before (and after)
chroot'ing into your system, sshd is not running so root logins are
not allowed. At most, they're configured to be allowed when sshd
starts up (this is exactly what everybody is free to change after
install, in the chroot (or without chrooting using ed(1))).

| btw, that chroot to /mnt may not be obvious to some, and a little
| advisory (or even a menu choice) at the end of the install script
| might be a good use of a 100 bytes or so.
|
| Halt now (H), Chroot to installed system (C) or shell (S)? [S]

It's in the FAQ, these days. See section 4.5.7.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/