---- Original message ----
>Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 13:25:38 +0100
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter N. M. Hansteen)
>Subject: Re: spamd: being careful with Chinese IPs
>To: misc@openbsd.org
>
>Jacob Yocom-Piatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>One rather big issue with all blacklists is the problem of maintaining
>them in a way that keeps your false positives to a minimum.  Some of
>the lists have been known to include entries covering entire ISPs'
>netblocks.  Assuming that those ISPs have a few non-spammer customers
>as well, it's fairly obvious that false positives can turn out to be
>real and embarrasing problems.
>
>The china and a few others example are there, I suppose, for people
>who do not expect to receive legitimate email from certain parts of
>the world, ever.  If you do business with eg China, it is probably
>better to err on the side of caution and not use those black lists.
>
>A few suggestions - it is possible to run spamd in pure greylisting
>mode, without any blacklists at all.  On my systems, I've greylisted
>for quite a while, but I was never quite happy with any of the
>blacklists until I ended up using Bob Beck's traplist supplemented
>with local greytrapping.

thanks for the suggestions, both on and off list. i've already read [1], it is
quite informative. after reading [2] i'm inclined to go with greylisting + Bob's
traplist.

in [1] there is a link to a greyscanner perl script

http://www.ualberta.ca/~beck/greyscanner

is this to be run with a cron job? any feedback on its use?

cheers,
jake