Marcus Popp wrote:

I'm sure that you have done more to your system then you told :-)

No too much more... just the usual set-up stuff.

This is a practice box. Once I refine what I am doing on it with PF, I will use the PF set-up on my web/mail servers.

verify that your /etc/rc.conf contains:
local_rcconf="/etc/rc.conf.local"
[ -f ${local_rcconf} ] && . ${local_rcconf} # Do not edit this line

Yes, I checked and these lines were in rc.conf, and I also noticed that rc.conf had a line:

pf=NO

...so I changed that flag in rc.conf to YES, rebooted, and everything came up fine... PF up and running.

Furthermore you could test that your rc.conf.local is used by rc (8)
by adding "echo 'It works [tm]' to it and reboot.

Interesting idea, thanks.

--
-wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
.       http://robertwittig.net/