Hmm, in the Makefile it has this:

# the hardened flavor is used by both core and extensions
FLAVORS+=               hardened
FLAVOR?=

It starts to compile hardened after completing core. I loaded the core
module then in Apache and it doesn't give any errors, however php code isn't
executed (just a blank screen). I also tried just adding the core package
from ftp and same problem.

I don't know why I'm having problems... Have followed the instructions that
I used that worked perfectly on 3.8 and 3.9.

Cheers
Brendan