Hi,

I've just upgraded from OpenBSD/i386 3.8 to 4.0 (yeah, I know), and I've run across a difference between the behavior of co in OpenCVS RCS (version 3.6) and GNU RCS (version 5.7, in the ports).

Try the following in an empty directory:

$ touch foo
$ mkdir RCS
$ /usr/bin/ci -i foo
RCS/foo,v  <--  foo
enter description, terminated with single '.' or end of file:
NOTE: This is NOT the log message!
>> .
initial revision: 1.1
done
$ /usr/bin/co -l RCS/foo,v
RCS/foo,v  -->  RCS/foo,v
revision 1.1 (locked)
RCS/foo,v exists; remove it? [ny](n): n
co: writable RCS/foo,v exists; checkout aborted
$

If I do the same thing with GNU RCS, the file is checked out for editing:

$ touch foo
$ mkdir RCS
$ gci -i foo
RCS/foo,v  <--  foo
enter description, terminated with single '.' or end of file:
NOTE: This is NOT the log message!
>> .
initial revision: 1.1
done
$ gco -l RCS/foo,v
RCS/foo,v  -->  foo
revision 1.1 (locked)
done
$

The difference causes problems for vc mode in Emacs. I can work around it, but I'm reporting it here in case it is a bug in OpenCVS. I've googled, but nothing relevant came up.

Regards,

Alan