I apologize for not wrapping my lines, I did not realize
that Yahoo mail does not autowrap.

So about the problem I am trying to solve.  Honestly,
I am actually not rewriting all that fast, but it's still
filling up a filesystem.  I am writing to maybe 4
files or so, each file is about 100 Kb to 400 Kb, and
I rewrite those about once every two seconds.  The
partition that these files are on is about 250 MB.
I have another partition which is about 10 GB, and
on that partition, there are maybe 100 files that
I rewrite, once again, at about two second intervals.

Some of the things I am writing are like cumulative
results from pfctl -vsq, so that I can track on a
per queue address basis, how much traffic is going
through that queue.  I have several hundred queues,
on some boxes, I have several thousand queues.  In
some other cases, I am rewriting pf.conf regularly
because I am changing firewall rules as machines
come on and come off the network.  To do this, I'm
doing things like keeping track of arp -na and then
seeing if a new MAC has come on, and if so, then I
change some firewall rules and/or put that new
machine that has appeared into a particular queue.

I am not aware of any way that I can get what I'm
trying to accomplish done without rewriting the
filesystem.  I would also like the ability to fast
reboot.  I did not realize that softdep + write
cache disabling is not the "blessed" method for
accomplishing this, it seems to be mentioned quite
a bit on this list.

I hope this makes sense to you.  Thank you so much
for your help.  I guess I will look into trying
to use a RAM filesystem as a rewrite buffer and
periodically flush to disk as a persistant store.

Please wrap your lines.

There is NO approved way of circumventing fsck with a
rw filesystem.

Rapid rewrites are not a problem, as long as you do
not do them so
fast that softdep cannot keep up.

I'm wondering what kind of problem you are trying to
solve. Why do you
need to rewrite a file that fast?

 -Otto