On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 10:56:37AM +0100, Toni Mueller wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> On Tue, 05.12.2006 at 16:51:07 -0500, Josh Grosse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 1.  build a 4.0 RAIDFrame system locally, in a qemu or vmware virtual
> >     machine if necessary, on spare hardware if not.
>
> qemu could fill the bill if it supported the required target
> architecture, but it doesn't. If I had spare hardware available, then I
> had not asked. ;-}
>
> But thank you for the qemu idea anyway, I'll probably look further into
> that direction.

Then another option is to do all of the building in a chrooted structure
on the remote platform.  eg: unpack your architecture's -release *tgz file
sets in a directory structure on that system -- unpack and update sources,
build your custom kernel and system, and then build a release.  All chrooted.

The drawback is you will not be able to test your kernel, since you don't
have a spare platform (or virtual platform) to test with.

You will need to do this in a filesystem that was was mounted without the
nodev option.