Otto Moerbeek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The ustar format is defined by POSIX and does not allow for filename
> larger than 100 chars or path names larger than 255 chars.
>
> GNU choose to provide an extension, at the cost of reduced interoperability.

BTW, GNU tar changed the extension back in ~1992.  The old scheme
has still been supported for reading ever since, but somebody
recently discovered a path traversal vulnerability there and in
response any support for the old scheme will be removed from gtar
1.16.1.  (It's already disabled in our gtar-1.16p0 package.)

While I don't expect many people to still need to access archives
that are that old and use the extension, a few will probably be
bitten by this.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]