On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 03:37:13PM +0100, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
| > > accord to the terms of GPL. Do you have an argument to convince me that
I am
| > > wrong?
| >
| > ftp ftp.openbsd.org
| > cd pub/OpenBSD/distfiles
| > ls links*
| >
| > you can't have looked very far, have you ?
|
| In the first level you have to guess 1 directory from 6, in the second 1/20
and
| in the third 1/20. That's 1/2400 in total. From the depth point of view of
| familiar user it's not far, but from the breadth-first search a user
infamiliar
| with the system has to do, it's far.

Excusez le mot, but this is total crap.

If the user wants GPL sources for GPL software he's running on his
OpenBSD machine which should be distributed by the project, according
to GPL license rules, than it can be reasonably assumed that he
already found pub/OpenBSD/ on the mirror. And from there, 'distfiles'
may not be the most descriptive term, but it probably beats the other
options you get when you're looking in there.

It's kind-of, sort-of assumed that you apply basic reading skills and
have at least a couple of braincycles to spare on finding whatever it
is you're looking for.

| BTW when we are at building tree structures for experienced users - the
optimum
| tree is one that minimizes the average access depth.  One can count (or
| estimate) the access statistics for individual leaves (documents, paragraphs
or
| sentences) and then build kinda Huffman tree.

I don't think anyone is trying to build the optimum tree to minimize
average access depth. I think people here try to build and use a
UNIX-like operating system and are trying to be pragmatic about it.
Huffman trees are probably more useful within the sourcetree. Somehow
I don't think OpenBSD was created for people unwilling or unable to
spend a bit of their time trying to read what was written for them.
I'm not sure, it may be all those "we write it for ourselves, you may
use it as you see fit" e-mails I've seen flying by (and which can be
found in the archives (oooh ! we have archives; more reading skills to
apply !)).

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/