According to VMware, you'll need AMD64 CPUs that are made using 90nm.
That should be the only requirement. I too test my 64-bit OpenBSD
guests on a Linux host running CentOS 4.4 (2.6.9-42.0.2.EL kernel).
i386 works like a charm. amd64 performs like a VAX.

However, I've tested NetBSD/amd64 (2.0 I think) and that worked just fine.

If I remember correctly, the performance problem manifests itself when
there is forking involved. If you run CPU intensive jobs (like openssl
speed), the performance is fine. If you do a ./configure on a port
(which forks processes all the time), it drops to VAX speeds.

I'll gladly test any suggestions.

Here is output of /proc/cpuinfo from my Linux host:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 47
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1994.273
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm
3dnowext 3dnow pni
bogomips        : 3993.80
TLB size        : 1088 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp [4] [5]