Hi,

thanks for all the answers. I was being imprecise, and have solved the
problem in the meantime.

-stable means for me only the non-X11 stuff and no ports. When I've
finished building -stable, I usually wrap a release, then erase the obj
space and continue with ports.

On Fri, 22.12.2006 at 06:29:23 -0500, Nick Holland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Toni Mueller wrote:
> > when following -stable and also following the advice to place /usr/obj
> > on a separate partition, how much space is recommended these days? I've
> > just discovered that 1 gig isn't enough.
> "barely over 1G"...at the moment.

8-}

> It's not getting smaller anytime soon, so if planning ahead is something
> you like to do, I'd probably leave at least 2G for "future growth".

That's why I asked... any estimates about the growth rate?

> Granted, the goal of having a /usr/obj partition is usually to make it fast
> to newfs, so you don't want to make it too big.

Yes. The disk in question has 73 gigs, so it's reasonably fast, but
newfs is still much faster than is rm -fr.

> no longer enough, just edit the partition size, newfs (or growfs, but
> that's not really needed in THIS case), and now you have a 1.5G obj partition.

Not quite, because it happened on a machine already in production. So,
there's no all-too-easy repartitioning right now. I did find another
partition that I'll probably join to this one in the future, but for
the time being, I opted for placing stuff on a different partition
which already is big enough for everything (and adjust /etc/mk.conf,
again).

> Or, just skip the usr/obj partition...  Having been stung a few times by
> over partitioning recently,

What's "overpartitioning"? ;-)

I usually have 8-12 partitions on my machines, converging to about 9.

But a toolset for relocating and resizing file systems, during live
operation if possible, would be really great... although I think this
will be quite hard, if possible at all.

Best,
--Toni++