** Reply to message from Alexander Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Mon, 01
Jan 2007 22:07:55 +0100

>Jacob Yocom-Piatt wrote:
>> i have been a postfix user for several years and have decided i should learn
>> use sendmail. making a very basic setup that has 1 virtual mailbox (i.e. a
>> mailbox for a user that does not have shell account on the mailserver) is
>> giving
>> me grief and i have not been able to fix this issue after reading all the
>> docs i
>> could find. i fully expect the answer is that i missed something trivial.
>
>I think you need to have a local user to deliver to if you use this
>approach or sendmail would not know where to deliver. We create an
>account (with no ssh access etc) for each mail account.
>
>If not, how is the user supposed to access his/her mail if there is no
>account?

This depends on your 'local' mail-delivery program definition in
sendmail.cf.  IIRC the standard program will only deliver to real
users.  I'm using maildrop (from packages) to allow delivery to virtual
users (who access their mail via POP); there are undoubtedly other such
programs available.

        Dave

--
Dave Anderson