On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> Sorry, made a few mistakes in my original post...
>
> We're going to be using an OpenBSD 4.0 machine to collect employee
> Punch-in data and store that data in a form similar to that of a Microsoft
> Access Database file. We would then like to access that data from our
> mainframe via ODBC to retreive the records.
>
> Would you be so kind as to lend your opinion as to the best package(s) to
> install on the OpenBSD machine to provide that ODBC functionality?

ODBC has nothing to do with the application you describe - ODBC is a
connectivitiy 'middle layer' that connects an application to a database.

We use MySQL all the time with MyODBC on the app end, .. although I doubt
that there is a MyODBC for a mainframe, to ODBC really doesn't enter into
the mainframe picture.

So what, exactly, are you asking for?

1) An ODBC service you can access from a mainframe? Not possible with
OBSD as the remote server.

2) A GUI application you can use to collect data? There are hundreds -
Access is a good tool for Windoze, .. for OBSD, you favorite scripting
language + GUI toolkit.

3) It's simpler, if appropriate, to use a text-based application. This
also works well with wireless devices, as the systems are WM or CE,
they will support a command-line directly. Login to your OBSD machine (no
GUI needed), and you're off and running.

4) Depending on the mainframe environment, there are also a ton of
middleware tools that will 'bridge' tne DB environment on the mainframe to
the DB environment of this application (e.g. MySQL).

5) As an alternative, you can do the data transfer manually from
application -> mainframe.

        Lee