On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 at 13:57:52 +0100, Esben Norby wrote:

> What excactly is the purpose of this? Is it some cisco trick to save memory
> or
> does it have a real purpose?

It's not a cisco trick as such, since it's defined in the OSPF RFC
along with NSSA (not so stubby areas) and totally stubby areas. It is
designed to save CPU and memory resources.

> Normaly when routers form adjacency the network is not considered a stub
> network any more, hence it can be used to forward traffic.

Stub areas are not to be confused with stub networks. Stub networks
are what is formed when you define an interface as passive. A stub
area is what is formed when the area border router for that area no
longer floods LSAs for AS-external routes into the area.

Thanks to Claudio for clarifying the situation. It's not a big deal
really - I was simply doing some testing with stub areas and wanted to
make sure of what was possible.

Regards,
Nigel