On 2007/02/08 14:10, Dan Farrell wrote:
> - You likely want to use the lo0 interface for this (although I suppose
> lo1 will suffice, but lo0 is the 'standard' loopback address (don't beat
> me up about my use of the word 'standard'))

lo1 makes redistributing into OSPF simpler, as per Claudio's example.
Use lo0 and you have to either filter out the 127.0.0.1 or explicitly
redistribute the /32; use a separate lo1 and it's just 'interface lo1'
(this also has an advantage if you change the address for some reason).

aiui, it isn't uncommon to have multiple loopbacks on routers, it's
just unusual on unix boxes.

> - Stop using the term 'dummy' in reference to any interface. There is
> no such thing.

Looks like there is an interface type on some unix-clone called dummy,
which doesn't seem to be very much different to what everyone else calls
loopback. They have loopback too, though. I don't think there's much
point in trying to guess why...