On 12/02/07, Otto Moerbeek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Clint Pachl wrote:
>
> > Have the file systems from one OS version to the next always been
> compatible?
> > Will they continue to be?
> >
> > My concern is that a 3+ year old dump may not restore correctly on
> current
> > version of OBSD. Can I be assured that I can store data reliably for 3 -
> 5
> > years on a FFS?
>
> I think the on-disk ffs filesystem layout and the format used by dump(8)
> didn't change since the dark ages. So you have pretty good chances a
> restore will work. That is, of your tape or other medium is still ok.
>
>         -Otto

Then, of course, there's the contents of the backup to consider. You
(probably) don't want your Brand New OBSD 4 installation replaced with an
install of OBSD 2, especialy since it may not contain drivers for hardware
you need to get up and running. Then there's the small matter of restoring
data that may be 3 years out of date

Jeff

--
Now, did you hear the news today?
They say the danger's gone away

Adapted from Genesis, "Land of Confusion"

http://latedeveloper.org.uk