To clarify:

I can connect from any 192.168.2.* IP to a temporary machine
in the 192.168.1.* network (the empty network between the hardware
router and the openbsd box), so packets appear to be forwarded
correctly. If I try to connect to an external IP, however, the packets
don't seem to go anywhere. I have, on a few occasions, seen responses
from openbsd.org to packets sent earlier which are then blocked by
pf (correctly, as they are no longer associated with any connection).

I have connected a machine to the 192.168.1.* network to sniff
packets with wireshark and see absolutely nothing go through when
a machine at 192.168.2.5 attempts to 'nc' to openbsd.org:80. Watching
pf logs with tcpdump shows that pf certainly believes it has forwarded
packets to the external IP address.

In the old days, we'd have opened the switch with bolt cutters and
set fire to the building on the way out.

MC