I agree, I'm looking for a technical solution to a much bigger
problem.  Unfortuneatly, you can't fix stupid.  I often have to
deal with people who can barely attach a file to an email,
asking them to check what size that file is or to send it using
another method is out of the question (imagine heads popping
off and eyes glassing over).  On top of this, the
people that are sending the files are from a different
organization, I have no control over what they do, and if they
say "I sent the file", it is my ass that gets reamed if we don't
get the file because the server didn't want to accept it or
choked on it.  I don't really care about efficiency, the longer
it takes to get the file from here to there the more likely
the people who want to send the files are to wake up and start
looking for a better file transmission method.  I just have to
get it to work this way until then.

Spam protection is really a nice-to-have.  While we have seen
a little more spam lately, usually it isn't so much to be a
bother.  The Anti-Virus is a must, although I have gotten some
suggestions to just skip virus scanning for large files.  I'm
not sure I understand why a large file would be less likely to
contain a virus though.

stuart