Andreas Bihlmaier wrote:
> Hello misc@,
>
> on my quest to promote OpenBSD I found a new user today, but we ran into
> some issues concerning wpi.
> The laptop is a "Dell Inspirion 6400".

<snip>

I have a similar Dell Inspiron 8600 currently running 4.0 I too have had
a difficult time with the built-in WiFi card (using the iwi driver).
It's a piece of junk Intel that simply *cannot* and encrypted
traffic/communication. I can use the device just fine when connecting to
an ap without any encryption enabled. But just being in the presence of
an ap supporting the "secure communication," iwi spits out Firmware and
Authentication Errors.

Eventually I came across an orinoco based card that uses the wi driver
(madwifi in linux). So far my week has been great :D

I would just pick up a similar, well-supported pcmcia card and avoid the
 Intel hardware.

Cheers,

Jason