Sunnz wrote on Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 03:14:54PM +1100:

> Sorry for the n00bish question, but I noticed that the swap partition
> created during the installation wasn't defined in /etc/fstab.
> Now, am I supposed to add it myself or is it necessarily at all? (wd0b)

See swapctl(8):

  Note: The initial swap device (root disk, partition b) is handled auto-
  matically by the kernel and does not need to be added to /etc/fstab or
  added via swapctl.  It will show up as "swap_device" in the output dis-
  played with the -l flag.

To find that piece of information yourself in the documentation,
you would start from fstab(5), reading

  If fs_type is ``sw'' then the special file is made available as a piece of
  swap space by the swapon(8) command at the end of the system reboot pro-
  cedure.

This redirects you just to the point where your question is answered.